Friday, October 1, 2010

The Cutting Cafe Think Pink

Please forgive my indulgence to leave this post at the top
until the end of the month of October for
BREAST CANCER AWARENESS.
I was diagnosed with the disease in 2008...
and I'M A SURVIVOR!

October is here and to me, and millions of other women like me, Breast Cancer Awareness Month has very special meaning. When I saw Regina's Think Pink Digital Stamp Set from The Cutting Cafe I immediately knew exactly what my card design was going to look like.  This card actually incorporates two sets, the Ribbon Shaped Card and the Think Pink set.  The little black and white owl is from the Think Pink set and the card is the Ribbon Shaped Card.  The card set has the ribbon shaped card, a topper, an outline and four sentiments.  Think Pink is a fabulous set that comes with 50 images, 25 black and white and the same images done in pink.  Just so you know, the sentiment that I used is not part of the set. I did it up on my computer to fit me personally.  In August of 2008 after returning from a wonderful family vacation in Hawaii with fifteen family members where one of my daughters got married, I went for my first ever mammogram.  Shockingly, a few days later I received the news that I had breast cancer.  Of course, that is the short version of the story. Never in a million years did I think I would be a victim of this killer disease.  I thought I was pretty safe because no one in my family had EVER had breast cancer and I had five children that were all breast fed (which is supposed to be a protecting factor).  I'm telling this story today in the hopes that it will be of benefit to someone else. DO NOT THINK you are safe like I did. Let this month (October) be the reminder you need each and every year to go get a mammogram.  It could save your life like it did mine.  I underwent several surgeries, including a bilateral mastectomy, and months of treatments to be where I am today.  God has blessed me abundantly and I am very grateful.
Now to tell a few more details of my card.  I cut my base card using white cardstock, cut the outline in pink and used Melissa Francis Breast Cancer patterned paper Hope.  I decided to put a cute little pink polka dot bra on my owl.  I used my Cricut's Life's A Beach bikini cut to make it.  It's cut at 2 1/2" to fit on the owl with two layers that I pop-dotted.  I put a little pearl in the center to draw the eye.  The sentiment that I used is a common little saying that I heard at the hospital one time when I was going for a treatment.  It made me chuckle, and believe me there wasn't much to chuckle about going through those treatments. I added the sentiment to a tag I punched and embellished it with a sheer pink polka dot ribbon and a flower that I colored with a Copic marker so it would match my paper.  Thanks so much for visiting my blog and listening to my story.  You may see another card or two on my blog made up with these sets because I always make cards for my four daughters and one daughter-in-law to remind them to go for a mammogram, because now we know they are at risk and it does run in the family, even if it started with me.

19 comments:

Regina Easter said...

this is amazingly done...omg omg omg...i simply adore this...great job Jeri...and praise the Lord that your a SURVIVOR....HUGS

Georgiana said...

Thank you for sharing your story. I am glad you have recovered from such a devastating disease. Your card is wonderful.

Carole Beath said...

I absolutely love your card, I love the sentiment. Welcome to our wonderful team. Regina is the best, we are fun to work with and we are so happy you are on the team with us. I enjoyed your story, and I send you blessings. This horrid disease has touched me through 10 of my friends.
Hugs
Carole

Stephanie said...

This is wonderful and Thank the Good Lord you beat this awful disease!! I look forward to working with you.

Becky G said...

This is awesome! Love the sentiment! Thank you for sharing your story with us! My sister is a breast cancer survivor! Twelve years now.

Unknown said...

so so cute, and so excited to be working with you with the cutting cafe, I'm excited, and grateful that you are a breast cancer survivor!!

mickeydee said...

I LOVE THIS CARD! Thanks for sharing your story. I love that saying, and I can totally realate! I am a survivor too!

Lori said...

Your card is awesome and thank you for sharing! Welcome to The Cutting Cafe!

Joy said...

this is amazing, so excited to be working with you!

Stacy Simpson said...

Your card is just AWESOME! Thanks for sharing your story - so glad all is well.

GiuliaG. said...

Jeri, I love love love your card....the googly eyes are adorable. I was surprised to learn that you had breast cancer but am very very happy that you beat it.....I see that you "fight like a girl"! Good for you.

Blue6366 said...

Love your card and thank you for sharing your story.

Kelly said...

What an awesome card and a touching real life story! Thank goodness you are a survivor! What a great idea to leave the posting on top until the end of the month!

Terry@ a quilting blog said...

So very happy that you are a survivor Jeri!!! Your card is amazing (as are you!!!) Thanks for sharing your story!
Hugs,
Terry

Raven B said...

lol lol this is WONDERFUL!!! I LOVE IT!
Hugs,
Raven

Bella and Aidees Mom said...

Jeri,
This is gorgeous...You r such a sweet gal..Love your story and card..Double hugs....Krista

Sandi said...

priceless

Denise said...

Hi Jeri,
Thank you for passing by my blog.
This card is beautiful. OMG is awesome and you are Amazing. Thank you for sharing your story.

Denise

DonnaMundinger said...

Fabulous card and such an amazing story. A perfect reminder to us all. Thank you for sharing. Hugs, D