Wednesday, May 6, 2015

The Cutting Cafe-Altered DVD case using Beautiful Flowers


So happy you could stop by today! It's time for another Cutting Cafe post from the Design Team. This week Regina asked us to create a project using any of her files that had background papers and to use it on something recycled (that we would have thrown away). Holy cow, this was so hard for me. Because hubby and I live in 500 sq. ft. of space we don't keep anything around that we don't use. There just isn't room for things that aren't necessities. Don't get me wrong, we do recycle our empty containers of paper, plastic and glass. We just do it very quickly, so finding something around here that I could recycle was a huge challenge. I'm not one to wait until the last minute to do my Design Team projects, but this one had me stumped. I had to resort to Pinterest, and searched for upcycled crafts. Thank goodness I found a project to make. This is a project that came from Split Coast Stampers Blog. I started with an empty DVD case, or in my case a container that had some Stampin' Up stamps in it that a friend gave me. All of the paper elements for this project came from The Cutting Cafe's Beautiful Flowers Colored Printable Stamp Set. This is an older set, but it's a grand one that comes with over 70 colored images including several background papers. 

When I first got the set, years ago, I printed a bunch of sheets out. I was going on an extended trip to visit my aunt who loves to craft and I thought we could use them to make something while I visited. As I recall, we did more shopping than crafting and so I came back home with the sheets, stuck them in a file folder and forgot about them. A couple days ago I was cleaning out some of the stuff I hadn't gotten to since we moved into our new place and came across the sheets. I knew they would come in handy for this project. All I needed to do was cut the background sheets to fit the size of the front and back of the DVD container and slip them behind the plastic sheets already on them. Then I fussy cut several of the elements. I used the bold flower on a black background to make a bookmark and added the top note shape to a small pad of lined yellow paper. I place the notepad on the right side of the container and slipped the bookmark into one of the sections on the left.  Then I stuck in a small pen. I decorated the front of the container with another beautiful flower and added some contrasting paper and a printed scallop to the left edge. To complete the little gift I gave it a nice big bow and added a gift tag. I think it came out really cute and would make a nice little gift for Mother's Day or for a special teacher appreciation gift. So glad you could stop by today and I know you'll want to check out The Cutting Cafe Blog on Thursday to see all the other recycled projects from the Design Team.

3 comments:

bumblebee creations said...

Jeri, what a great idea!! Love how it turned out, another one I am going to have to remember!!

Regina Easter said...

what gorgeous set...you are so amazing.. hugs

Tina Goodwin said...

What an awesome idea! and it's super cute!