Hello Friends and welcome to my little corner of the crafting world. This is going to be a rather long post so I thank you in advance for sticking to the end. This post has been long in coming and I probably would not be doing it now if it wasn't for Regina asking the Cutting Cafe Design Team to do a post on their craft spaces. It's taken me a long time to get my act together and it's a long story getting there. Some of you may be new to my blog and may not know that hubby and I live in what is commonly referred to as a "tiny house". We are coming up to three years of our minimal lifestyle and we love it. When we retired, over five years ago, we sold our big five bedroom home where we raised our five kids. We spent a couple years traveling around the country in an RV (fifth wheel). I loved full time RVing, but I hated the part where we had to hook up the trailer and tow it. I was not a good passenger. After a couple close calls of cars pulling in front of us then slamming on their brakes I decided, if we continued to tow an RV, I was going to have to medicate myself. So we made the decision to buy a small park model RV and place it permanently in a campground in Florida. Hence, my little craft corner in our little space.
When you live in a tiny space you have to make every nook and cranny count. With my hubby's help I converted this china cabinet to a craft supply cabinet. This is one of the few items we kept from our home when we sold it. Hubby's contribution came when he installed a couple of pull out shelves into the cabinet for my stamps and dies. I have to say, this has to be my favorite DIY project he's ever done for me and I'm grateful to be married to a handy guy. Those containers (Inter Design) of stamps and dies weigh a ton and they were really hard to get in and out before the slide out shelves. Because we live in a tiny home it was imperative to me to be able to keep my supplies behind closed doors to keep my little space neat. For the top of the cabinet I bought some decorative storage boxes from Michaels. I store seasonal supplies, seasonal decorations, packaging materials (boxes/bags) and felt/material in them.
Here is a picture of what it looks like behind the closed doors. The first thing I did was have hubby install some frosted cling film (from IKEA) to the top cupboard doors so no one would see the messiness inside. This cabinet sits in the main living area of our home. So when company comes over it's where they will be sitting. My paper storage containers came from IKEA. The left cabinet holds my 12 x 12 paper and the right side has a couple of small drawer units that house my cutting machine blades and miscellaneous tools, my 8.5 x 11 cardstock and specialty papers and my tiny Janome sewing machine. The storage drawers in the top middle cupboard came from the Container Store. I store some paper punches, heat gun, Fuse tool, and other assorted tools in them. In between the two drawer units I have three plastic containers that I store all my sequins in. Each plastic container holds 24 individual jars with a different color sequins in it. I still have room for one more container. I bought them at Walmart in the jewelry making supplies section. I bought one gallon glass storage jars (from Walmart) to store my ribbon, buttons and washi tape on the open shelf. My Cricut Machine sits out for ease of use. When I'm ready to use it I'm able to quickly hook the cords up to my computer because it is so close to my desk and when I'm not using it the cords are hidden away to keep things neat.
In the bottom part of the hutch I have some clear stacking storage drawers that came from The Container Store on the top shelf. The one on the top left holds glitter, embossing powder, adhesives, etc. Bottom shelf has my Copics, cutting mats, case for my happy planner, embellishment box, Martha Stewart Scoreboard and a 12 x 12 plastic container that stores paper scraps.
Here's a close up of my pull out shelves I love so much and the cornerstone of every card maker, the stamps and dies. Hubby special ordered these pull out shelves from Home Depot. You can have them made in any size you specify. They are a little pricey, but I consider them worth every cent, or dollar I should say. They were around $90 each. They honestly look as though they are original to the cabinet and they are very high quality and sturdy enough to hold up to 100 pounds. Originally, hubby was going to construct them himself, but by the time we priced out the supplies and figured how long it would take him we thought it was smarter to order them ready made. The oak on the front of each pull out stained beautifully to match the rest of the cabinet.
The bottom right side top shelf has more of the clear storage drawers from The Container Store. The top drawers hold all my Cricut cartridges, shaker card fillers, twine, and embellishments take up the bottom drawer. Bottom shelf has an Inter Design container with 4 x 6 paper pads and another with assorted sizes and colors of envelopes.
Last, but not least, the drawers of the hutch hold all kinds of goodies. The left drawer holds watercolor paper pads, stencils and Misti stamping tool. Middle drawer has my paper cutter, ATG gun, Gypsy (yes I still use it), mini ink cubes, stamp cleaner, baby wipes, magnetic bowl (for holding small dies while I'm working with them) and paint brushes. Right drawer holds full size ink pads, a mini scoreboard, and assorted stamping blocks. It was a very happy day for me when all the different companies started coming out with the small ink cubes. I would never have space for full sizes of all the different ink brands. I have all the Distress Ink minis, all of the Lawn Fawn minis, and quite a few Hero Arts minis.
My small desk sits in front of a large window which gives me plenty of bright light to work by and I have one more little tool in my arsenal-an IKEA RASKOG cart that sits in a closet, when I'm not working, out of the way. In it I keep my planners, planner stamps, travel journals, journaling bible, faith journal, faith-related stamps, my Cuttlebug and cutting plates and some of the supplies I use for bible journaling. The supplies in here are easily contained to pick up and move around. Sometimes I take my journaling bible or faith journal out to a table on the patio to work and enjoy the fresh air.
I hope you've enjoyed this little glimpse into how I store my craft supplies in my tiny space. Thanks for stopping by. I know you'll want to visit the rest of the Design Team to see their crafting spaces. You can find them all over on The Cutting Cafe Blog on April 21.
10 comments:
FAB!!!
Wow,what an amazing space, and I am so amazed at how much storage you made into this one beautiful piece!!! My daughter wants a tiny house....I like to watch the show about them on hgtv!!
ditto datto to what the other two people said...people are going to be shocked as to how amazing you store your stuff...this is perfect for those with a smaller section...love everything about this...this cabinet is fab...
WOW!!!! just WOW! you have this organized so well. I would love seeing a tour of your tiny home!
I agree with Debbie! That is the nosey in me! My hubby and I were going to buy a Park model also till we now are raising our 3 grandchildren. So I would love to see all of yours! Onto the next....OMGoodness! I LOVE LOVE LOVE that gorgeous china hutch! No wonder you kept it! Is it handmade ? IT looks like an Amish piece! I Love it and love how organized you are . How you can say you needed the coating on the windows to hide everything is nuts! I would enjoy looking at all your beautiful craftiness! (IT IS FAR FROM MESSY!) It is an art in itself to stay this organized and still craft! I bow to you and how you manage ! Thank you for sharing and I hope we get a tour of your beautiful home! Christi
I am in love with your space!! I have a full size room and nowhere near the organization you have. You are an inspiration, and I am going to incorporate some of your ideas to get more organized. TFS
Neat organized and works for me! Glad you have this storage! Super!
Wow! I am so impressed with all you manage to store in your small space! Loved this tour of your place! Very awesome!
Ohh Nice and functionality Space! thanks for sharing with us! Enjoy. Paula
BRAVO!!! What an amazing space. It is truly inspiring. It was like opening an unexpected gift and finding something totally unique. I love it!
Post a Comment