Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Word Art Christmas card


There's a popular trend I've been seeing a lot lately on blogs and Pinterest. It's making shapes into word art with stamps. I decided to try my hand at the technique after participating in Online Card Classes 2104 Holiday card event. This is an easy card to mass produce once you get the stamps set out in the pattern. There are a few steps to accomplish this. First I cut a basic triangle shape for the tree pattern using my paper cutter and scrap paper. My tree is four inches tall and three inches wide. Next I taped this pattern onto a piece of acetate and placed it on my work surface with the paper facing down and the acetate on top. Then I started laying out my stamps (with the stamping side face down and the smooth side facing up). This is the hardest part of the project, getting the stamps all lined up and finding just the perfect size stamp for the space. I used the Cardz TV Stamp sets "Snow Day", "Holly Jolly", "Very Merry" and "Home for Christmas". I should mention that when you place the stamps onto the acetate there is a little stickiness to them that keeps them from moving around. It would be a much more difficult process if you didn't use the acetate. After I had them all in place on the acetate I used my Fiskars stamp press to pick them all up. If you wanted to you could do some masking and use different ink colors for different sentiments. Since this may be the card I use to mass produce my Christmas card I wanted it to be a simple process. I used Momento ink in the color called "Cottage Ivy". I stamped it onto my cardstock and then used a rectangular stitched metal die from My Creative Time to cut it for the top of my red base card. I made a stencil for the tree trunk with a piece of acetate that I just hand cut into a trunk shape and with my Tim Holtz circular inking tool and Distress ink in Gathered Twig stenciled under the tree. For a finishing touch I added a gold foil star, also cut from a My Creative Time die, and embellished with red Stickles and red sequins. I thought this was a really fun technique and I think I'll do an ornament shape next. I hope I've inspired you to give this a try. Have a fun and crafty day! Thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

Joan Smith said...

OMG Girl what an Outstanding, Clever and Creative Card!! OMG!!!!!
I am in awe of what you came up with.....Oh you definitely inspired me and I'm so going to do it and I have all of the Cardz TV stamps you used too.....Gosh talk about being a super talented and creative gal!!
YOU so ROCK!!

Brenda said...

Wow, this looks amazing Jeri! I love how you made a shape with the word stamps!!! Thanks for the tips and the tutorial on how to do this. I have to give it a try. I am loving the MCT products that you used and I love of course how you used Cardz TV stamps! Hugs, Brenda

Sharon said...

I so love your card Jeri!!!! Thank you so much for the tips and tutorial. I think I'm gonna have to give this a try!!! :)