Friday, June 3, 2011
Paper Cutz Challenge #94 Travel Theme
It's pretty much the end of the school year and families are getting ready to head off on vacations. This week at Paper Cutz Mary asked the DT to use a beach or travel theme. I went with the travel theme, being the traveling fool. My husband and I used to take our five kids on trips every year. The only way we could afford to travel with that many kids was to camp. We had some wonderful family trips and adventures. The one the adult kids still talk about now is the year we drove cross-country from Michigan to Yellowstone National Park. It was a grand adventure and if you've never been to Yellowstone, it's one of the places I think every American should see in their lifetime. There's no place like it. It was always an ordeal to keep that many kids happy in the car and I became quite the expert at it. So for those of you planning on heading out for car trips here's an idea for something to take along to keep the kids occupied. I made this folder and filled it with paper games from my stash. Using a 12x12" piece of white cardstock I scored it at 6" and then turned it once and scored at 4" to make a flap to fold up on the inside. I used scraps to cover the front of the folder then added a United States diecut I made with my Cricut Going Places cartridge, as well as the circular sentiment and the motorhome. I cut the word travel with my Plantin' Schoolbook cartridge. Here is a picture of the inside of the folder. I covered the flap with paper and added another Going Places sentiment.
This came together in a flash and would be easy enough to make for a whole car full of kids so that each child had their own. I would suggest personalizing each packet with diecut letters to make their names. (That way there's no fighting over who's is who's). I filled it with bingo cards, mad libs, pen the pig, fortune tellers (cootie catchers when I was a kid), word searches, sudoku puzzles, word pyramids, picture searches, dot to dots, crossword puzzles, drawing games, mazes, battleship grids, and coloring pages. It would also be fun to add an intinerary and map so each child could follow along the trail and make sure you give them a mechanical pencil and colored pencils to have on hand. You don't want crayons in an enclosed hot car. Ask me how I know that??? LOL Here are a couple online resources for car games :
I encourage you to make happy family memories traveling with your kids. I survived car travel with five kids and I know you could too. Trust me, your kids will recall the memories when they're adults and will want to do the same with their own children. Mine do. HAPPY CAMPING!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh what a wonderful card and story of your trips away...TFS and for thr fabulous advice for kids travelling! :) Hugs x
Really fab idea, Jeri! Adorable folder. Great story. xxD
Post a Comment