Friday, September 6, 2013
Cardz TV Stamps Challenge #35 Celebrate the Harvest
Summer is winding down and it's time to finish harvesting the crops. It's been a great year for crops here in Michigan. Well deserving farmers are celebrating after almost total crop losses last year. Last year at our annual campground end of year celebration we had a never before tasted treat that some friends brought to the gathering. It is a tradition in their family to make a batch of cherry liquor each year. The cherries are picked and placed into jars with sugar and whiskey, sealed up and not opened until Christmas time. So our friends, Jay and Linda, brought a jar of their cherry liquor and cherries that they had made the year before. I just had a sip of the liquor, not being a drinker myself, but the best part of this creation is the soaked cherries. I admit I had more than a few of them and they were yummy.
My husband said, after that experience, that he was going to make some of his own this year. Lucky for us our friends remembered him saying that and on a recent weekend at the campground they were nice enough to bring us a couple pounds of cherries that Jay and his mother had picked just the day before. Off hubby went to the store to buy canning jars. Now you have to know that my husband does absolutely no cooking. He can make one thing and one thing only, French toast. My adult kids still beg for that treat. By the end of the day we had our own six quarts of cherries all set to soak for the next six months, enough to give one to each of the kids before we leave to head back to Florida and take some for ourselves to be shared with friends on Christmas Day.
I made this cute little cherry card as a thank you to our friends for bringing us those cherries. I used the Cardz TV Stamps Love in a Jar stamp set to make this card along with the perfect background paper from DCWV Sweet paper stack. It was so easy to make by stamping the jar onto white cardstock and the lid onto silver paper, then the cherries with some red and green ink. After stamping I fussy cut the pieces and put them together then popped them up on the card with a little foam tape.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
i love cherries... at least in crafting anyway!
the SANDWICH FAIR is on thru the weekend... if you guys come down! it's the last fair in the state for the summer. i don't go. i can't walk around like i used to and the price of food is just too high there. but, it's a biggie and fun if you've never been!
i put my house on the market. time to downsize. i don't need 1900 sq. ft. i plan on staying local because i'm very active in my church and definitely want to remain close. now i start cleaning out the house... NOT FUN! amazing what crap i've accumulated in 13 yrs. sheesh!
anyway, sounds like things are good with you. i'll keep you posted on where i go. i still blog and i'm on facebook. my email is the same - poca62@comcast.net. do stay in touch.
hugs :)
I love this cute thank you card Jeri!! So you take the cherries and put them in a jar with sugar and whiskey?? Then you can drink the whiskey/sugar mixture and eat the cherries??? Sounds different but I would be up for the taste! lol I love cherries, not much for whiskey though. lol I think this is the perfect thank you card for your friends!! Hugs!
I don't know why but I have always like cherry images and this card is so sweet and refreshing.
Gr8t job Jeri!
Great card--super cute. Those cherries you described sound sooooo good!!! This is a perfect thank you card :)
I love how you put those cherries on the band! Cute, card!
mimiscraftcorner.blogspot.com
Cardztv DT
Great take on this week's challenge. Seems like cherries were a big hit.
So cute! Love the cherries. The jar is cute with the cherries on it. Great job!
Lots of Hugs,
Laura
Post a Comment