Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Made it Myself

The other day I had a few spare moments away from doctor appointments, physical therapy and other assorted hum drum life stuff. I got wind of a way to make my own enamel dots.  Why would I want to do such a thing you ask? Well, it boils down to being cheap and always looking for ways to save money so I can buy some crafty goodies that cost a little more. (Mainly the metal dies I've become addicted to). So I went to Hobby Lobby and bought some cheap plastic beads in the kids crafts aisle. I put them on a parchment lined cookie sheet and then I stuck them in the oven. Here is what they looked like before baking.


I put them in the oven preheated to 425 degrees. I set the timer for 15 minutes, but it only took about 11 minutes for them to melt in my oven. Voila--the perfect enamel dots. Here they are when they came out of the oven.  No more holes in the center and perfectly shaped. Now I have to find some beads in a smaller size to make more. Tell me you don't want to try this yourself now. 




5 comments:

Melissa said...

Cool,been thinking about making those too!

Stef H said...

love this. i love those shiny dots and like you, i'm cheap. i have alot, i mean A LOT of micro beads. i wonder if that will work. will definitely give it a go and keep you posted.

you da bomb!!!!

hugs :)

Regina Easter said...

omgggggggggggggggggggggggggg perfect

Brenda said...

I love making my own enamel dots Jeri! They are so fun to make and add to your stash. I found some tiny pony beads at JoAnn's. I think they were 5 mm. They make such cute little enamel dots to go with the bigger ones. Happy enamel dot making!! Hugs, Brenda

Lisa Minckler said...

OKAY...you're a GENIUS and I'm blown away. This is the coolest thing ever! Thanks so much for sharing this....LOVE this! ;)