Monday, October 15, 2012

BBTB2 Breast Cancer Awareness

Well, my friend and DT Sister, Brenda has done it again.  She chose this week's challenge at BBTB2 and it's another cause near and dear to my heart, literally.  (Her last choice was honoring our Servicemen and women and I got to brag on my son, the U.S. Marine). This week the Design Team's making breast cancer awareness projects.  For those of you who don't know, I'm a breast cancer survivor.  On November 12th it will be four years since I had my bilateral mastectomy.  I must take this opportunity to retell my miraculous story.  Four years ago, after returning from a wonderful trip to Hawaii to see my daughter get married, I was reading through my stack of mail that accumulated while we were gone for a month.  I found a letter from my insurance company which was offering a Target gift card to women who had a mammogram.  I figured, what the heck, I love to shop at Target.  So off I trotted for my first mammogram.  I was so confident that it was the one thing I didn't have to worry about.  After all, I breast fed five babies (which is supposed to be good for protecting against breast cancer) and no one in my family has ever had breast cancer.  How wrong I was.  My whole life changed that day.  Ladies, no one is safe from this disease and you MUST get a mammogram.  I'm living proof that early detection saves lives.  My doctors told me that where my tumor was located, I would not have felt the lump until it was much larger.  Maybe so large it would have been too late.  Okay, I'm done preaching.

Onto my card.  Every one knows that pink is the color associated with breast cancer so, of course, that's the color I used.  My papers are from My Mind's Eye.  Most people also know that more than any other word, HOPE, is the one that most breast cancer patients hold onto through surgeries and treatments.  Even when the journey is over HOPE still remains strong because a breast cancer survivor knows that it could return.  I used the Home Decor cartridge and cut Hope at 1.75".  Then I placed it atop a portion of a top note shape that I cut from the Elegant Edges cartridge.  I embellished with sheer cream colored ribbon and a few pink buttons.  I apologize for the glare on the photo.  I was going to take another picture but I decided I kind of liked the way there was a glow around the word hope.  Thanks for stopping by today and don't forget to schedule that mammogram if you haven't had one.  It could save your life.

10 comments:

Bella and Aidees Mom said...

Tis is super soft and just plain sweet...Krista

Bella and Aidees Mom said...

oops..This

Anonymous said...

This is so pretty, Jeri. I love the sweet papers and the design of this card. So glad yours' was a success story.

Brenda said...

Oh my Jeri, this card is beautiful and so elegant! I love that paper you chose, so soft and femine and perfect for this challenge! Hope is the perfect word because ever breast cancer patient holds onto hope to get them through their journey. Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us Jeri, I'm so glad that you are a survior my friend!!!

Carole Beath said...

I loved reading your story, Jeri.... I am so glad you are here. What a wonderful card. Hugs.
Carole

Pat N. said...

Your card is beautiful. TFS your card and your story, you're a Survivor!

Susan Edwards said...

Wow Jeri, this is such a beautiful card. I love how pretty it is. The papers are lovely, the buttons are adorable... and the sentiment is perfect!
Susan

DonnaMundinger said...

Gorgeous card and such an inspiring story, Jeri. Thanks for reminding me I'm due again for a mammogram. xxD

Suzanne cricutcraftingrammyblogspot.com said...

Wow Jeri Your card is so pretty and I love the pink roses but your story is even more amazing. Hats off to you my friend for being a survivor and a fighter. Hugs-

Jayne said...

Thanks for sharing your story Jeri.Sending a huge hug..glad you are a fighter.
Love your card.
Jayne x