Saturday, October 20, 2012

Serious downsizing

I don't usually post personal stuff on my blog, mainly because I devote my space to papercrafting.  But, occasionally I mention a little about my life.  I've had quite a few requests from friends and followers to tell more about how hubby and I have been living since selling our home in July 2011.  We closed on our house sale and had our truck all packed and ready to leave with our camper.  Since then we've traveled in our RV around the country and seen lots of wonderful sites and visited lots of friends and family.  At first we went north to the quintessential summer vacation harbor of East Tawas, MI on the shore of Lake Huron.  We stayed there until early September.  Then we started traveling south.  We stopped in Manassas, VA which was the closest town to where our son lived.  He's a U. S. Marine in charge of a recruiting station near there.  We were anxious to get the chance to visit with our youngest grandbaby who had been born in May.  He is the spittin' image of his daddy.  Then we went to Raleigh, NC and visited our youngest daughter.  A little farther south we visited with some of my husband's family.  Then we headed for one of my all time favorite places in the country, Savannah, GA.  By that time it was early October and we were getting a little weary of traveling.  Mid-October we decided we were a tired of constantly towing and moving around.  I was tired of going to a different grocery store every week and trying to find what I wanted.  Such a simple thing you tend to take for granted.  I must admit, I was not a very good passenger.  I was a nervous wreck being on the road and we had a few close calls.  It's amazing how many drivers don't realize you can't stop on a dime when you're in a big truck with 40 feet of trailer behind you and cut in front of you and then slam on their brakes.  So if you've never thought about it---leave plenty of room around big rigs and don't pull in front of them and slam on the brakes.  The stories I can tell about people who don't know how to MERGE onto a freeway, a big pet peeve of mine.  Here's a picture of our home on wheels.



So we decided to head to Florida for the winter.  We just picked a campground from a big campground book we traveled with.  We ended up in Lakeland, FL.  Being from the metro Detroit area we grew up as Detroit Tiger baseball fans.  Go TIGERS, we hope they win the World Series and will be watching as it begins next week.  Lakeland, FL is where the Tiger's do their spring training so it seemed like a good place.  Little did we know when we arrived how our lives would change.  We had so much fun and made so many new friends.  Most of the people at this campground are "permanent" winter residents.  The RV's they live in are permanently left on the sites.  There are people like us that stayed for the whole winter but lived in an RV. 

After a lot of thought we decided that this area just felt like home and we decided that we wanted to have a permanent place here so that we wouldn't have to tow our unit down here every winter.  We purchased a park model RV.  It was very much like buying a house as far as picking out the model and how we wanted it finished on the inside with cabinetry, flooring and such.  It was built to our specifications at a factory and we had the opportunity to go and see it during production.  It was a really fun process, though it took much longer to get it than expected.  It was delivered to our site we picked in the campground only a couple weeks before it was time to go back north at the end of April.  Here's a picture of the day it was delivered.
Now, we lived in a very large home (because we had five kids).  We had five bedrooms, three bathrooms living room, family room, finished basement, dining room, etc.  We had about 3,000 sq. ft of living space.  It was a wonderful family home and we raised our children there.  But as is always the case, the kids grow up and move out and there we were with all that space for just hubby and I.  WE DON'T MISS IT AT ALL.  The upkeep was tremendous and took a lot of our time.  We sold some of our belongings to the WONDERFUL family that bought the house, had a garage sale to get rid of other stuff and then we put stuff into a storage unit not knowing what we were going to be doing in the future.  After making the decision to buy the park model RV we had to return to our storage unit this summer and decide what to do with everything.  In June we had a garage sale at the subdivision my daughter lives in and sold most of the remaining big pieces of furniture.  We kept a hutch cabinet, our king size bed and assorted household items, like kitchen things and linens.  The last week in September we closed up our camper in Michigan and winterized it.  It will stay on a lot in the campground up in Michigan through the winter.  We rented a moving truck, loaded the household items we wanted to bring down to Florida and drove for three days to get back down here.  We arrived on October 1st.  Then the work began.  We had to unload the moving van, get everything unpacked, put away and organized.  It was quite a process, but we're happy with the progress we've made so far.  From the moment we picked out our home with that cute little front porch I envisioned two white rocking chairs sitting on that porch.  I love to sit on the porch in the morning with a cup of coffee and the newspaper.  Every morning I open my front door and there is the newspaper right outside the door for me to pick up.  My dog loves to lay out there in the morning in the sun basking in the warmth.

As you can see, we added a covered patio on one side and a small storage room at the back.  Hubby wanted to bring his tools down and have a little work area along with some extra storage.  Notice my dog proudly sitting by the front door of his new home.  (Such a little guard dog).  We are planning on doing some landscaping around the front of the house, but haven't gotten to it yet.  Next is a picture of the living room.

See that ottoman, it's utilized for my papercraft supplies.  I store my 6x6 paper pads, Copic markers, Zutter binding machine, and a few other things.  The next photo is the dining area. (Like you wouldn't be able to figure that out).

The cabinetry on the top holds dishes and other kitchen stuff.  The bottom cupboards are where I keep the rest of my crafting supplies.  I do my crafting on the dining table.  The next picture is the kitchen area (also self-explanatory, I know). 
After living in a camper, one of my favorite things about a park model is that it has full size kitchen appliances, even a dishwasher.  It was difficult to cook in the camper, but I find I'm enjoying being in the kitchen again.  Especially being able to bake.  A few days ago I made six mini loaves of pumpkin bread.  I'll be giving them to our friends as they arrive back at the campground.  We were pretty much the first winter residents to arrive, four other residents on our street have arrived this week.  Most of our friends will arrive by the first week in November.  We have a very roomy bathroom for such a tiny place.  Tons of storage between the large cabinet above the sink and the sink cabinet itself.  I do feel rather strange showing a picture of the bathroom and it was hard to get pics in such a tiny spot.  I hope I don't offend anyone with these photos.  We have a full size shower and next to the shower is more cabinetry.  I keep my linens (towels and sheets) and other misc. toiletries in there. 


Besides my full size appliances in the kitchen, my absolute favorite thing about my new place is it has room for our custom made king size bed.  We had only gotten this bed a few months before we sold our house.  We went to a furniture store and had it custom made with a firm side for hubby and a soft side for me.  I really missed that bed and I'm so happy to be sleeping in it again. 

Now granted, there isn't a ton of space after the bed got into it's place, but I'm more than okay with that just to be able to have it again.  As you can see we have more cabinetry above the bed for storage.  Hubby claimed four of the cupboards and I have the two on the right.  In my left cabinet I have storage containers that hold my Cricut cartridge manuals (I missed them a lot, too.  I'm a total hold it in my hand, visual kind of person).  I also have two containers of ribbons and trims. 

On the other side of the bedroom are his and hers closets with a chest of drawers in between.  We also downsized our wardrobes in this process.  This storage is more than enough room for our clothes.  In fact I use one drawer to collect dirty laundry in.  I was surprised at how many things in my closet I hadn't worn in years.  Of course, I no longer needed all the clothing that I wore to work in, being retired, so that took care of a lot of it.  We donated all our clothing that we didn't want anymore.  In the hallway we have a full size washer and dryer.  Most people down here hang their laundry out on a clothesline.  We found we especially enjoy putting our bed sheets out on the line.  It's so warm and sunny here most of the time that we rarely use our dryer.  (Except for undies, I refuse to put my underwear outside for the world to see. LOL)

This home has a total of 500 sq. ft.  It has everything we need.  A living area, a kitchen, bathroom and a bedroom.  When we think back to our house before we sold it---those are the only areas in the house that we used.  My husband says what we had was a five bedroom storage unit.  Our life is so much more simplified now.  I don't have to clean every single day for hours at a time, never catching up.  I can clean this home in an hour, including washing the floors.  It gives us more time to enjoy our retirement years and live an active lifestyle.  One of the first things we did after getting our Florida IDs was head to DisneyWorld and get a Florida resident annual pass.  We live about 35 minutes away and will head over there every couple weeks for a few hours at a time.  It's so much fun to know you don't have to cram everything in like you do on a vacation.  We feel like we are vacationing every single day.  Sometimes I don't even know what day it is.  Weekends are no different than weekdays.  I'm telling you, retirement is fantastic. 

I hope you've enjoyed my little tour.  Next week when my papercrafting supplies are a little more organized I'll be sharing my craft space and how I've organized and store my supplies.  I admit, I slightly miss my craft room I had in our house, but most of the stuff I had in there was many years old and never used.  Now I have only the things I use all the time.  My only purchases tend to be 6x6 paper pads and new Cricut cartridges (much to hubby's chagrin, LOL).  Thanks for coming by and I'd love to hear what you think of our successful downsizing.  I know some of you will think we're crazy.  This lifestyle wouldn't work for everyone and to do it, both spouses must be on the same page and you can't be the type of person that has to have a lot of things to feel successful.  But, I promise you, it's the most liberating experience.  I must also say, we save tons of money not having a big home with all the associated expenses (utilities, taxes, insurance and upkeep).  We don't owe any money to anyone.  We paid cash for our park model RV using the money from the sale of our house.  Living in the campground we don't have to pay utilities or property taxes.  We do, of course, have insurance on our home.  Before we leave to go back to Michigan next summer we will be purchasing a new vehicle and paying cash.  We've saved money for this because we aren't paying all those other expenses.  We know we are very blessed and we're very thankful.

15 comments:

teachdanz said...

thanks for sharing this Jeri - I find this completely fascinating. I look forward to the excerpt on craft organization:-) It sounds like you two found out what really matters to you and are living it!!

Laurie said...

Congratulations!!! The life you've chosen sounds wonderful!! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences, makes me some what jealous, but definitely makes me think that I would love to do that!! We have a 5th wheel that we vacation in, so I understand exactly how you feel with some of those things. Have a great evening and I look forward to your craft area!
Laurie
scrapsbysissy.blogspot.com

Lizzie Laine said...

Great story Jeri, sounds like a lot of fun!
Your house is wonderful and I can definitely relate to having too much house to clean. Love all the pictures!

DIANA L. said...

Great and fun story Jeri. It was my bedtime story for tonight, Thank you for sharing. Have a great weekend You dog on the front porch made it look so homey!

Bobby said...

This is what my husband always wanted to do, live in an RV on the road. Until we bought one and he was terrified to drive it. So we sold it without ever using it and now rent a condo in Alabama for the winter. He would like to buy a home in Florida but he's never been there and I will not buy sight unseen and not know the territory. Right now we have to stay put since I take care of my aged parents (94 and 96) who are still in their own home. We'll make a BIG decision when we no longer have that obligation. Who knows. Maybe I'll run into you someday.

Sharon said...

Thank you so much for sharing your new lifestyle with us Jeri! It sounds ideal!! I'm so glad ya'll are happy. Your new home is beautiful!! :)

Terry@ a quilting blog said...

Your new home looks so pretty and it sounds like you're having a wonderful retirement Jeri!!! We love being retired and still enjoy traveling around the U.S.A. in our Roadtrek (easier to handle than a large RV or 5th wheel...but I know what you mean about 'other' drivers not being aware of how much more time it takes to 'stop' with a 'house on wheels'!) We are also in the process of building a new home...but instead of downsizing we are going bigger...kids think we are 'crazy'....maybe they're right LOL!!! Enjoy your new home and warm winter weather :o)

Cheryl W. said...

Your new home is lovely! I love that front porch - how perfect to enjoy the sunshine from there every morning. I think you're so smart for figuring out what makes you happy and going for it! Many happy days in your new homes - both stationary and rolling!

SiskiyouSue said...

So interesting! Glad you found a way to make things work. My daughter went to school in Lakeland (FSC) and loved it, hope you continue to do so also.

Lizzy said...

What a wonderful blog post ! I love what you have done, so brave. I agree that a large home is just a storage place for all the stuff collected over the years that we no longer use but can't bear to part with. My sister has done exactly what you have done, she loves it too.. I would love to do that, the park homes here in the UK are equally gorgeous, but not such lovely weather.. and I've always said I would move into one when I get too ancient to travel in my motorhome. Good luck with your new adventure, and keep crafting! xxx

grammy deed said...

Loved your story. You have the right idea. I do not want to be a slave to our home after Mark retires. Looking forward to downsizing and living with the basics. That front porch is to die for. We want a warm place so we can be outside all year round and be on vacation full time. It all sounds so great. I was wondering how I will use my cricut and still make cards but you have it all figured out and I will too. Thanks again-this made my day.

Melissa said...

Wow Jeri, I am so happy for you and your hubby!!! I could only wish that hubby and I could have the chance to do those things when we are able to retire....who knows maybe. Have fun in your new RV and I can't wait to see your crafting area!

Brenda said...

I am so loving your new life Jeri! And maybe a little jealous of it too. lol I always have wanted an RV to travel the US in, but still want a home to come home too, because as we know there is no place like home. And I just love, love your new home!!! It is the perfect size to me. I would love it if my hubby would do this as well, but he is a farmer, so getting a farm to leave the farm-well it just ain't going to happen! lol I also know to well how "4 wheelers" love to cut in front of a big RV/tractor trailers and slam on the brakes. My step father was a trucker and I was with him many times and saw this. You just can't stop these big vehicles on a dime and it makes me to mad that people do this. I also couldn't agree with your more about people who don't know how to merge onto the highway-I also get so mad at people who can't drive a "square" and we have a lot of them in PA, so you would think that the people from here would know how to drive them, but they don't! I don't expect out of staters to know how, but PA people, I expect too! lol Anyway Jeri, I just love, love your new home and can't wait to see how you store your scrappy supplies. I am learning that I have too much stuff in my craft room. Stuff that is old and I haven't even touched in years. So you are inspiring me to maybe get some items cleaned out once again. lol I did clean out a lot but still have much more that can go. Your home is just beautiful and perfect and can I say I just love, love that porch and those rocking chairs as I love to sit outside and read or just enjoy a cup of tea or cider. I love that you are in an area that doesn't get much winter, I so don't like the winter anymore with the Lupus, RA and Fibro!! Enjoy cooking in that fabulous kitchen and hanging out clothes in the awesome sunshine! I love to hang out too. Hugs my friend!

Jayne said...

Loved reading your story and seeing your photos Jeri.What an incredible adventure.Wishing you much happiness in your new place.
Hugs
Jayne x

Glenda said...

Enjoyed reading your story and love your new home! Thanks for sharing the photos!
Hugs!
Glenda