Monday, April 18, 2011

BBTB2 Pineapple


The weekend is gone and it's time to go back to work.  For those of you who work, anyway. I happen to be happily retired and I highly recommend it.  I thought I'd give you workers something to keep in mind as you head off to the workplace.  LOL  This week's challenge at BBTB2 was chosen by the super talented Karen.  She asked us to use the pineapple from the Wall Decor cartridge.  I don't have this cartridge so I pinched hit again by using the Paper Dolls Dress Up cartridge.  If you'd like to join the challenge this week and don't have the Wall Decor cartridge you can use a pineapple cut from any Cricut cartridge.  Last year at this time we were enjoying a nice relaxing trip in Hawaii and that's what this card reminds me of.  I think I actually remembered to put all the elements together on this one---the stitching, the embossing and the bling.  Usually I finish up and then realize I forgot to stitch or I should have embossed.  This is a standard A2 card cut from cream colored cardstock, topped with a navy blue mat and patterned paper from DCWV Summer Stack from a couple years ago.  As I said, the pineapple came from the PDDU cartridge.  You'll find it on page 42.  Since this is an accessory that goes with the little hula girl you really have to increase the size to get it this big.  I know this will sound totally wrong but it's cut at 11".  I used all scraps from my scrap bin for the pineapple cut.  I cut it three times, once from the polka dot and twice from an orangish/yellow cardstock so I could layer it.  I embossed the yellow using a diamond pattern embossing folder from QuickKutz. Then I inked it up with chalk in Chestnut Roan and Creamy Brown and added the rhinestones for bling.  I used my MS Scoreboard to pleat a one inch strip of some turquoise paper I found in my scrap bin.  It had a little stripe pattern going on it so I thought it would be perfect for an umbrella to stick on the top of my tropical drink. I ran a piece of 1/8" Tacky Tape along the top edge of the umbrella before I pleated it to make it stick together.  I trimmed off the pointy end of a toothpick and added it to the back of the umbrella then stuck it in between my two layers and used some dimensional foam to make the umbrella stick out from the surface.  As a final bit of bling I used some orange stickles on one of the tropical flowers on the background paper.  The sentment is cut from a piece of paper from that same DCWV stack.

13 comments:

Melissa said...

Really cute card! Love that umbrella and the embossing!

Dixie said...

Oh, what an inviting card! Your embossing on the pineapple is just perfect, and I love the added bling.

Terry@ a quilting blog said...

Great card Jeri...love the little umbrella!! You are so right about retirement...it is wonderful!!!
Hugs,
~Terry~

Sharon said...

Wow! This is just fantastic!! I love it! :)

~JulieH~ said...

Absolutely fabulous Jeri! I love the umbrella and the stickles on your flower gives even more gdimension to your gorgeous card! Love it!
Hugs
juliexx

June Houck said...

This is fantastic! Great card, as usual :)

Stef H said...

oh i love this! how colorful!

hugs :)

DonnaMundinger said...

YUMMY!!!!! I'll take one of those please. LOVE the umbrella! xxD

A Little Time said...

Oh, Jeri! I love this!!! I love how you added a 3-D umbrella and the bling on the pineapple. This is so tropical and awesome!

Lindsay Weirich said...

the umbrella is perfect!

Karen Pinsonat said...

Love the umbrella you added to this! Such a fun card!

Bella and Aidees Mom said...

Makes me want to go to Hawaii..LOL...Love it..Krista

Maria said...

You did a perfect job with your pleats!! Looks like it right off a real drink :) You guys are making me miss my vacations in Hawaii!