Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Just For Fun

I don't often have the time to play along with any challenges anymore just for FUN, so I'm taking a break and making something just for me, 'cuz I want to.  I checked a few blogs for challenges and these are the ones I've decided would work for me:

Crafty Cardmakers-Flowers
Daring Cardmakers-It's All About Me
Freshed Brewed Challenges-Photo Inspiration
Mojo Monday-Sketch
Penny's Challenges-Anything
Stamping Vacation-Pick 3-Buttons, Chipboard, Floss

I have to say my real inspiration came from my blogging buddy Stef (aka Glitterbabe).  Yesterday she posted a card using chipboard and said that she never used it.  Well, neither do I.  So I challenged myself, on the spot, that today I was going to make something with chipboard.  Stamping Vacation has a Pick 3 challenge going where you have to pick three items to use on your card from a list.  Chipboard is one of the items (I also used buttons and floss).  I have this big box of chipboard that's been sitting in my studio for about five years.  Every once in awhile I get the box out and look through it, then put the lid back on and put it away.  I guess I'm put off by the fact that I have to do something with it.  Can't just use it looking like plain old cardboard.  So this morning I got it out, having decided to go with a flower theme for Crafty Cardmakers, grabbed some petals and went to work.  I covered the petals with a bright pink paper from Me & My Big Ideas, trimmed and chalked the edges.  I went with pink after seeing the photo inspiration at Freshly Brewed with pink flowered bedding.  I knew I needed to use bright, vibrant colors because after all this card is all about me, just like Daring Cardmakers wants.  Not to say I'm a bright color person.  I used them to cheer myself up because it's another dull, dreary winter day in Michigan.  I hate, hate, hate winter.  I'm looking forward to Spring, which is still quite a way off.  So now I had all my elements and decided to use the fabulous sketch from Mojo Monday. 

I placed my petals into a flower shape and mounted them onto a doily.  I added a little bow to one petal and a button with floss to the center.  I know a  lot of people just put the buttons on without adding floss and leave the holes showing.  It's the type A personality thing that just doesn't allow me to do that.  I can't stand to see those holes sitting there with no thread in them (or maybe it's my sewing background).  Then I stamped my Happy Spring from Stampendous onto the same pink petal paper, trimmed it and added a pop dot under it.  Now doesn't this card just shout Spring.  Now I just have to put my blinders on and not glance out the window to see the bare maple tree and snow and I'll be all set.

6 comments:

Heather D. ~ Fresh Brewed Designs said...

SO pretty and springy! I love that lacy doily!
Thank you for playing along with us at Freshly Brewed Challenges.

Heather Dennis
Fresh Brewed Designs

fionalawlor said...

Gorgeous card! So cute and colourful :O) Thanks for joining us this week at Crafty Cardmakers.
Fiona x

Stef H said...

well look at you! i've inspired you to use the chipboard and you inspired me to use my cricut. way to go girlfriend! this is beeeee utiful. your colors are stunning and that flower is just gorgeous!

luv u to pieces.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card. I've got a stash of chipboard I haven't looked at for ages so you've inspired me to have a play. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers this week. xx

Mani said...

Hi.
What a pretty card. So simple yet effective.
Thank you for joining us at Penny's Challenges.
Manuela

Saskia said...

Thanks for joining us at Freshly Brewed Challenges with your lovely card!