Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Everyday Cricut Guest Design Day 2

Hi Everyone! It's my second day as Guest Designer at Everyday Cricut.  I still can't believe I'm Guest Designing. I must be dreaming.  I want to thank all of the wonderful visitors I've had and I'm so appreciative of the sweet comments on yesterday's post.  Today I have some mini valentine cards that are perfect for kid's to use for their classmates and friends.  It's another long post so pull up a chair, grab your cuppa Joe and enjoy.  Depending on the ages of your children this could be a project that they help with.  My granddaughter Payton, who's five, loves helping me create with my Cricut.  She started creating with me in my craftroom when she was three.  Every time she would come to visit that was the first place she wanted to go.  Last year when my husband and I sold our home so we could live and travel full time in our RV do you know what she said to me when she saw my empty and packed craftroom?  "Nana, where are we going to make things now."  I still get teary eyed thinking about it because Payton is in Michigan and I'm in Florida.  It will be awhile before we can craft together again.  We won't head up into Michigan until spring.  So I can't craft with her, but I can craft for her.  I made a whole set of these little Valentine cards for her kindergarten classmates.  I can't wait to send them to her.  All the cards were made with the Create A Critter cartridge except for the bunny which came from the Winter Woodland cartridge and the elephant which came from Holiday Cakes.  Using a 12x12 piece of red cardstock I cut it in half and then cut each half every three inches.  This gave me eight cards from one piece of paper.  I scored them in the middle and when they're folded they are 3x3".  Then I cut scalloped squares from the Elegant Edges cartridge at 2.75".   I printed my sentiments with my computer right onto the scalloped squares.  I used silly little phrases that tied in with the animal I used.  Some of them are phrases that I found on the cartridge, some are phrases I made up, some are phrases I've seen before and some are phrases I got off Valentine cards at the store.  I went to Target one day and wrote down some of the phrases I saw in the boxed Valentine cards and the card section. 
If your child is old enough to help you assemble the animals after you cut them that would be really fun.  Payton's favorite part of creating with Nana is pushing the key for the animal and then the cut button on the Cricut machine.  She knows she needs to wait until the picture of the animal shows up in the window before she pushes cut.

Anyway, these are all very simple assembly.  Of course, I've added some of my signature doodling to them, but that isn't neccessary if you're in a hurry and need to make a lot of them.  I made all the animals just using scraps of paper.  We all have scraps laying around to use up, right?  I also made envelopes for the cards using my Don Juan cartridge.  I used regular copy paper for these.  I put my blade depth on 3 and pressure on medium.

Payton will be able to sign her name in the cards and then place the cards in an envelope and write her classmates names on the envelopes. 

If you would like to make similar Valentine cards for your children or their classmates here is a list I compiled of animals and sentiments to go along with them.  I'm sure you could probably think of others or you may have stamp sets with some good sentiments on them.

Bear-You're My Honey, You're Beary Sweet
Bee-Bee Mine
Bird-You're Tweet, Feathered Friend
Bunny-Some Bunny Loves (Likes) You, You Make Me Hoppy
Cat-You're Purrfect, Smitten Kitten
Cow-You're Moovelous
Deer-Deer Friend
Dinosaur-You're Dinomite
Dog-Puppy Love, You're Doggone Great
Elephant-Tons of Love, Tons of Valentine Wishes
Fish-You're Fintastic, You're a Great Catch
Fox-You're Foxy
Frog-Can I Be Your Prince
Horse-Howdy Partner
Lady Bug-Love Bug
Lion-You Make Me Roar
Monkey-I'm Bananas for You, Let's Hang out
Octopus-Ahoy Matey
Owl-Owl Always Like (Love) You
Panda-Lucky You're my Friend
Pig-Hogs and Kisses
Seal-You have my Seal of Approval
Sheep-Crazy About Ewe
Skunk-So Stinkin' Cute
Tiger-You make me Wild
Turtle-You're turtley Awesome
Whale-I Whaley Like You
Squirrel-I'm Nuts Over You

Thanks so much for coming by and I hope these cards are an inspiration for you to create some of your own.

19 comments:

Lizzy said...

I love these Jeri, I love the doodling you do, and the little bit of distressing, it really makes the cards pop. I might have to get the Critters cartridge now! Thanks for these lovely ideas and inspiration.... and I had completely forgotton that the Don Juan cartridge had this envelope ! lol x

scrapdiva said...

Love them, thank you for the great idea. I want to know how did you fit them in the printer at 3 inches or did you cut the paper larger?

Karenduch said...

the cards are so very cute! I am curious how you printed on the scalloped squares?

Things and Stuff said...

They are all adorable. Thanks for the idea. Just became your newest follower and can't wait to see more of your projects.

Marjorie said...

These are adorable! Thank you for giving the details of your cut sizes. Thanks also for all the cute sayings.

Anonymous said...

So cute! what a great idea! thanks for the list I might have to make a trip to Joanns!

Tammy B. said...

OMGosh! How very cute! I have this cart.& not having small children at home anymore, never thought to make Valentines with the animals, but I can use them for my hubby anytime I want to send him smooches!! Thanks for the Ideas! I also, love the "pen stitching". I also would like to know how you did the printing on the scalloped paper, like the others above asked.

Chris - Creations in Bloom said...

These are so very adorable and how sweet of you to share your list of sentiments to go with them. Big hugs for that!

Ruth G said...

I LOVE your puns and you put so much detailing on your cards with stitching and other drawn details it's really wonderful! (I'm visiting again from Everyday Cricut - wanted to leave the love on your blog!!) TFS!!! It's been fun so far this week!

JoAnn said...

I love your kids Valentine's. I work with children at church and all your sayings will help alot. One of my favorite cartridges is Create a Critter, I seem to use it often with children's projects. Thank You so much for sharing.

Rita said...

Your Valentines are adorable!

Kate said...

I love your cards! I would like to know how you created the mats that you put the printing on as I know you couldn't put a 3" piece of paper in the printer. I would love to learn this from you. Thank you.
Kate
Newaygo MI

Trina said...

These are adorable. Thanks for sharing such cute puns. Semper Fi.

Susan said...

Love these two, along with the lollipop treat holders you show today. I still don't understand about how you are printing words on the cutouts. Sounds like you are putting them through the printer twice, but on the 12 x 12 mat? Or are you using the smaller mat?

Anyway, I'm amazed you can do all this from an RV! You sure are living your dream!

Susan in SC

Jul said...

Your cards are adorable, I think I will make some myself and give to my co-workers. They should get a chuckle out of the sayings and maybe remember there child hood. Thanks for your inspiration so enjoyed
Julie from Cailfornia

Kate said...

I still don't understand about how you are printing words on the cutouts. Sounds like you are putting them through the printer twice, but on the 12 x 12 mat? Or are you using the smaller mat? I agree with Susan, I still don't understand. Can you please explain more? Thank you.

Susan said...

OK, I think I get it now! You take the mat (the object that you cut out that you want the words to appear on), tape it over the words that you have printed out on printer paper, and then put it through the printer and print directly onto the cutout that is taped on the paper. Whew! Such a simple idea, but I just couldn't get it! I'm glad to hear from Kate though that I'm not alone! I guess I was confused because I was thinking of a cutting mat.

I love this idea as you can use it to print out sentiments for cards instead of stamping them, using all kinds of pretty fonts and colored ink! I was just taping them to a mat and then trying to hide the edges with a frame or with ribbon!

Susan in SC

An'Jenic G. said...

I love your cards Thanks for Sharing. I need some ideals for V-Day with my girls. Wow Thanks so much for all the kool sentiments. This will come in hand. You have a friend in me.

DonnaMundinger said...

Super cute, Jeri! Great idea for the kids and sharing the adorable sentiments is fabulous. love these! xxD